The annual gathering of The Foursquare Church is coming to Phoenix from May 28–31. Foursquare Connection 2012—under the theme “Speak—Reclaim Our Voice”—is a great opportunity to connect with the Foursquare family. Special guests include renowned worship leader Matt Redman, author Margaret Feinberg and church researcher Ed Stetzer, to name just a few.
Here are some ideas that will help you get to Connection 2012—and make the most of it once you’re there. We look forward to seeing you in Phoenix!
Four Ways to Get to Connection on a Budget:
- Register Early: Save $30 by registering before May 3.
- Go With a Group: Save $50 per person with the group rate (for groups of seven or more from the same church).
- Get a Roommate: Save on hotel rates by sharing your room with a fellow leader. Perhaps that new friend you met at your district retreat?
- Use Public Transit: A one-way train ride from the airport costs only $1.75. That means no taxi, no tip, no rental car, no gas and no parking. That’s cash in your pocket.
Four Things Not to Miss in Phoenix:
- Botanical Garden and Zoo: The Desert Botanical Garden and Phoenix Zoo are right next to each other, and accessible by bus and light rail. Giraffes, desert flowers and Komodo dragons—there’s something for everyone, and you’ll get a real taste of the American Southwest.
- Castles ‘N’ Coasters: Roller-coasters, go-karts, miniature golf and more. This theme park is a 20-minute drive from the convention center, accessible by bus, and next to one of Arizona’s largest malls.
- Grand Canyon: Phoenix is about four hours from the Grand Canyon. It’s a long haul, but consider planning a tour if you can spare the time before or after convention. It’s one of God’s great wonders and something everyone should have a chance to see for themselves.
- Local Parks: For a closer taste of nature, consider the Sonoran Desert National Monument, the most biologically diverse North American desert. Or check out Camelback Mountain, which has two summit trails for experienced hikers wanting to get the top as well as some easier trails that still have great views. Don’t forget to bring water!
Four Ways to Get From the Airport to the Hotel:
- Public Transportation: Phoenix’s new Metro Light Rail is a great option and only takes about 13 minutes.
- Taxi: Check out the lime-green Toyota Prius Hybrids of Discount Cab. They’ve got the best-rated service and cost about $20 each way.
- Shuttle: Cheaper than a taxi, you can share a shuttle. Look for the “Van Service” signs at the airport.
- Rental: You can always get your own rental car at the airport. Some of our event hotels also offer discounted rates on parking.
Four Ways to Register:
- Online: Visit foursquareconnection.org to register today. Quick and easy!
- Fax: Print the registration form and fax it back to us at 801.355.0250. We’ll get it right away!
- Mail: You can also print the registration form and then mail it back to us. Classic!
- Phone: Give us a call at 877.423.4633, and we can sign you up right over the phone. Personal service!
Four Hotel Suggestions:
Our official host hotels currently have a waiting list. If you are unable to book reservations directly with the hotel, take a moment to add yourself to our waiting list online form. You can also go to VisitPhoenix.com to get additional tips on where to stay in downtown Phoenix.
- Hyatt Regency Phoenix: The host hotel for Connection, it’s located directly across the street from the convention center. If you use the Foursquare Connection rate, you get free in-room Wi-Fi, and access to the outdoor pool and fitness center.
- Renaissance Phoenix Downtown: This hotel is just one block from the convention center. It was recently remodeled, and offers free Wi-Fi as well as access to the pool and fitness center.
- Sheraton Phoenix Downtown: Just two blocks from the convention center, this hotel offers a free pool and fitness center access. There’s free WiFi in the lobby, or you can pay to have it in your room.
- Find Your Own: Strike out on your own and find a hotel that works for you. The Greater Phoenix Convention & Visitor’s Bureau is a great place to start.
Four Special Connection Features:
- Kids: Bring your kids to Connection 2012! Far from babysitting, we have engaging programs designed for kids and teens. We’re also welcoming toddlers (ages 15 months to 2 years) for the first time.
- Young Leaders: Highly respected Foursquare ministers will share their hearts and pour into emerging leaders ages 18-35 during special evening sessions. A question-and-answer period will follow, making for a powerful mentoring opportunity.
- Connection Center: Say goodbye to a traditional exhibit hall. The new space will feature great food, ample seating, live music, a resource marketplace and even a ping-pong table. The Connection Center will be open daily, including late-night hours after the evening session for those who want to eat, chat and hear some live music.
- Exhibitor Passport Raffles: After a game of ping-pong in the Connection Center, visit the exhibitors to get your passport stamped. If you get 16 stamps from participating exhibitors, you can enter to win prizes, including free registration for next year’s Connection, a 2012 Experience Kit and more.
Visit the Connection 2012 website to register or learn even more reasons why you don’t want to miss Phoenix.
By: Kevin D. Hendricks, a freelance writer in St. Paul, Minn.